The house needs cleaning, the cabinets need organizing, the books need reading, the food needs eating, the relationships need talking, listening and patience, the emails need to be written, the things need to be put away, and the weights need to be lifted.
With the new year there is always more to do to be even more perfect. Pump-up the to-do lists, and make this year THE BEST ONE EVER already!
I started the Spending Fast partly because I had this out-of-control feeling with my finances, and those feelings had to end. Now life has creept back up into nutty busy out-of-control territory again.
So what can I do? I can do what I did with the Spending Fast and start to step out of the madness cycle.
Simplifying to me means (among other things):
- No more checking out stacks of books that I just have to read and then returning them guiltily unread
- No more picking up the weekly free papers to stay up to date on everything happening in Denver
- No more saying “Yes” to things I’m really not into
- No more great expectations on every aspect of my life
Simplifying also means more of:
- Taking the time to really enjoy and appreciate where I’m at in life, and who is in my life (because I’m pretty damn lucky really)
- Recognizing when I’ve taken on too much and reaching out for help when possible
- Stop myself from taking on too much in the first place by respecting my own limits and setting boundaries
The great news is that simplifying life is one of the best perks of the Spending Fast and Spending Diet– less crap to manage and maintain, less obligations in general, and you get to blame it all on the Spending Fast like this, “Nope, can’t doing it since I’m on a Spending Fast“. (True story: I once got an email from a friend of someone doing a Spending Fast because she was mad that her friend turned her down for dinner out because she was on a Spending Fast(!)- Hey, I’ll take the blame;)
Sonya over at the Kanelstrand blog sent me an email the other day about a 3-week project she’s doing to help people simplify their lives. Here’s the link about her project: Simple Living Challenge. I thought you all might find it interesting.
Sonya shared her insight with me (below) on what simple living means for her and how you can find out if it’s something that might be good for you too.
“What is simple living?
Simple living is an attitude to life that will help you live more sustainably, more deliberately and more happily. Among other things, simple living includes:
- Identifying what is most important for you and eliminating everything else
- Doing what inspires you and being with the people you love
- De-cluttering (be it your mind, your everyday life or your virtual life)
- Single-tasking and learning to diminish stress
- Striving to live frugally by wanting less and buying only what is necessary
- Slowing down and being actively present in the moment
- Living a healthy life
- Striving to be green and sustainable as much as your surroundings allow
- Enjoying the simple pleasures of life
- Simplifying your goals, tasks and expectations
Simplyfing must be good for you if:
- You are very deep in debt
- The clutter around you is overwhelming you and is keeping you away from taking the right decisions
- You have grown apart from your loved ones and even yourself
- You are stressed out
- You rarely do something for the fun of it
- If you spend too much time on the Internet
- If you are very disorganized
- You constantly multi-task
I know all this may seem overwhelming but I assure you, there is nothing complicated in living a simple life. You don’t need to withdraw from the world and seek a retreat to be able to achieve simplification. Simple living is about engaging more fully in the world, but with a different set of priorities. Simple living allows for the really important things in life and helps you appreciate more fully what you have and who you are.”
Thanks for the insights Sonya!
What do you do when you feel stressed? How do you simplify? Is simplifying something you’d like more of in your life?
P.S. Want to change your mindset? Here’s a game-changer alert! CLICK HERE for the Money Magnet + Abundance Affirmations Super List