We’ve gotten hit with a blizzard and when it’s cold outside I like to go on walks and bake because baking makes the house warm and everything is better with buttercream. Seriously, if in doubt, add buttercream.
We bundled up and went on our artic walk so now it’s time to focus on the baking! :D This buttercream recipe will have you wanting to eat straight spoonfuls of it!
Kinda-Homemade Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes with Browned Butter Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting…
Cupcake Ingredients (makes 32 cupcakes)
- 1 box of yellow cake mix
- 1 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl, beat cake mix, pumpkin, water, oil, eggs, and pumpkin spice with an electric mixer on low-speed for 30 seconds
- Then, switch to medium speed and mix for 2 minutes while scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally
- Divide batter evenly among the muffin cups so they are about 2/3 full
- Bake 19 to 24 minutes (it only took mine 16 minutes but that could be a high-altitude thing?) or until the toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean
- Cool in pans 10 minutes
- Move cupcakes from the pans to a cooling rack
- Cool completely (about 30 mins), then frost!
Browned Butter Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature, cut in half
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-6 tablespoons milk
- 3 teaspoons of cinnamon (more or less to taste preference)
- Heat 1/2 cup of butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until lightly browned (around 8-10 minutes), stirring occasionally
- Let cool
- Add the remaining 1/2 cup of butter to the bowl
- Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes
- Add the powdered sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla beating with electric mixer until well combined
- Add the milk 1 tablespoon at a time until the frosting reaches desired consistency
Spread or pipe the frosting onto the cooled cupcakes.
What do you like to make when it’s cold out? Have you tried browned butter frosting before?