Things have been pretty busy around these parts! I’m working away on the book (OMG. It’s a lot of work!), we’re in the midst of our wedding photography season, and then there’s all the regular old life stuff that is happening, of course. ;)
I owe ya a couple of updates on The Minimalist Challenge. Turns out, Day 18 was a pivotal point in the process, and I gained a lot of insights about what I have been hanging onto. Probably one of the biggest insights so far throughout The Challenge has been that I’ve realized that I’ve got to stop bringing stuff into the house… even if that stuff is free (local newspapers, things from friends, knick-knacks, etc).
Below is my update on The Minimalist Challenge for days 13 through 18. Up to this point I’ve gotten rid of a total of 171 items!!
Day 13, Get rid of 13 things:
- SELL – Clothes x 11
- SELL – Accessories x 2
Going through my closet I found myself thinking/deciding/having these realizations:
– “Have I even EVER worn this?!”
– If I only feel so-so when I wear a piece of clothing then I need to get rid of it.
– There are some clothes that I pull out of storage every time the seasons switch and I always think I’m going to wear but just never, ever seem to get around to wearing. Those items need to stop taking up time in my life and have been put in the Get Rid Of pile.
– Some clothes I like the idea of more than the reality of.
Day 14, Get rid of 14 things:
- GIVE AWAY – Shower curtain. I have a friend moving into a new place and she said she just so happens to need a shower curtain. Perfect!
- SELL – Bridesmaid dress from H&M that totally doesn’t look like a bridesmaid dress. This was from my little sister’s wedding and she was so awesome to let us get these dresses that were only about $30. They looked great in the pictures too!
- TRASH – Mismatched socks that don’t have a partner. (I’m counting them as 1 item)
- TRASH – Undies x 2. They’re ill-fitting. And you all know, ain’t nobody got time for that!
- SELL – Earrings/jewelry x 7
- SELL – Key tag label thingy
- TRASH – Top to a travel coffee mug. Why in the world do I still have the lid to a coffee mug I no longer have?
- SELL – Little plastic heart container
Day 15, Get rid of 15 things:
- SELL – Clothes x 6
- DONATE – Torn towel
- SELL – Curtain rods x 2
- SELL – Socks. Never wear these ones for some reason.
- TRASH – Drawstring that has become separated from a pair of workout pants (don’t know what pants it even belongs too).
- SELL – Canister of coffee
- SELL – Semi-busted book light (just needs tape or something to keep the batteries in) but I never use it anyway so…
- SELL – Thick headband
- TRASH – Pot of lipstick
Day 16, Get rid of 16 things:
- SELL – Small camera bag
- SELL Camcorder with manual (counting as 2 items)
- SELL – Small camera tripod
- SELL – Web camera
- SELL – DVD-R x 2
- TRASH – Empty DVD-R cases x 3
- SELL – Flash diffuser
- SELL – Lens/screen cleaning kit
- SELL – USB drive
- TRASH – Empty box x 2
- SELL – Set of reflective pant leg tighteners (for when you ride your bike)
Most of these items we just don’t use anymore.
Day 17, Get rid of 17 things:
This is the medicine cabinet edition;) so most of these things have to be disposed of.
- TRASH – Empty inhalers x 3
- TRASH – Empty shampoo bottle (it’s super sticky, and covered with fuzz and lint because I took the original label off of it)
- TRASH – Ointment x 2
- TRASH – Old lip balm
- TRASH – Old/expired medicines x 7
- TRASH – Empty medicine box
- TRASH – Inhaler thing
- SELL – Practically new lotion that we never use
What’s with all these empty and expired things?!
Day 18, Get rid of 18 things:
The Linen Closet edition…
- TRASH – (Continued from medicine cabinet) Expired medicine x 6
- SELL – Bath towel
- SELL – Hand towel
- SELL – Sheets x 4
- SELL – Pillow cases x 4
- DONATE – Baby blanket
- SELL – Bath mat
I think I still have a linen-collecting problem! :/ Linens showed up on my original Spending Fast Wants list and it looks like that problem area has slowly creeped back in.
So, at this point I’ve gone through: my closet, bedroom, coat closet, linen and medicine closest, and our office (surprisingly the least-cluttered area). The next areas that got tackled: junk drawer, Craft/Junk Room, and the basement storage unit.
Are you doing the Minimalist Challenge too? If so, how has it been going for you?
P.S. Looking to declutter and minimize? CLICK HERE to learn about the Fearless Minimalist Guide