>> UPDATE!!! I’ve updated this MASSIVE list! CLICK HERE to get all 110 Super Cheap Date Ideas delivered right to your email. <<
If you’ve been married 50 years, together for 6, or just getting ready to go on your first date don’t worry about how you’re going to afford all that “relationship stuff”. There are a ton of fun, cheap date ideas!
98 Cheap Date Ideas…
1. Play in the snow, build a snow man, then drink cocoa
2. Go to a community play, a dress rehearsal, high school or college play
3. Do an inside or outside picnic
4. Work out together
It’s fun to subtly flirt with each other at the gym because the other gym patrons don’t necessarily know you’re together.
5. Go roller skating or ice-skating
6. Movie marathon with ice cream sundaes
Pick a genre, queue up some movies, and make the biggest, most obnoxious sundae you can.
7. Play hide and seek in a corn field (or the woods)
8. Go on a very long walk around your neighborhood at night
9. Go to a real- live movie store, pick out a movie together then pop homemade popcorn at home
10. Go to estate sales together
11. Spa night together
Spoil each other with home treatments like bubble baths, exfoliating face and body scrubs, foot massages, etc.
12. Make a romantic dinner at home
13. Play ping-pong
Ping-pong is very inexpensive.
Most bowling alleys have specials and fun things like black-light bowling with loud music.
15. Go yarn-bombing together
Channel your inner rebel.
16. Go on a midnight bike ride together
17. (Mom cover your eyes) Practice Kama Sutra
18. Go to the hardware store
Wander around, and dream of everything you would do to your house if money was no object. $2,000 chandelier? No problem!
19. Build something together
20. Go canoeing!
21. Go camping!
22. Go hiking!
23. Go fishing!
24. Find the best happy hours in town and make the appetizers your meal
My husband and I go to a place in town that has a happy hour where you can get a burger, fries, and drink for $5. Then, we split it.
25. Take advantage of coupon sites to get great deals on things you wouldn’t normally do
26. Go to a trapeze class!
Seriously. They have them in my city and they just might have them on your city too. For only $10 each it’s a steal.
27. Have friends over and play board games
28. Go to an antique store and talk about the past lives of old objects
29. Get some thrift store tennis rackets and go to your city’s free courts
30. Go to the neighborhood pool
31. Fly kites!
32. Test drive an expensive car
33. Go on a tour beer, food, etc.
Find out what tours businesses in your city offer and try one out.
34. Go thrifting or garage sale-ing together
35. Do a breakfast date
Breakfast is the least expensive meal option (and tastiest if you ask me).
36. Make a new recipe together
37. Play strip poker
38. Find a free (or very cheap) class and take it together
39. Go for an ice cream date. then walk and talk with your cone
40. Find cheap sporting event tickets or go to your local high-school or college games
41. Drive up to the highest point in your city, spread out a blanket, and then gaze up at the stars
42. Go to the animal shelter and pet the animals
43. Teach each other something
You probably know something your partner doesn’t and they probably know how to do something you don’t. This is the perfect opportunity to teach each other
44. Take photos of each other
Maybe your social media profile pictures are out of date. Spend an afternoon photographing each other.
45. Research your local train and bus lines
There just might be a train that goes right up to the mountains or a cheap bus ride might get you to the beach. Either way, it’s definitley worth looking into.
46. Open Mic or Improv nights
I feel like this one shows up on every list but there’s a good reason why. It’s fun!
47. Volunteer together
48. Babysit together
49. Make a time-capsule
50. Take advantage of the season
Maybe it’s carving pumpkins, decorating the Christmas tree, or hiding Easter eggs. No matter the season there’s usually something fun happening.
51. Go through your old yearbooks
Tell your partner all about your high-school days.
52. Reminisce about your 1st date
53. See how creative you can get
Take turns planning dates that have a $10 limit.
54. Train for a race together
55. A book club for two
Select a book, check out a copy for each of you from the library and then discuss it as you go.
56. Paint a room together
57. Take swing dance classes together
58. Make a pizza at home
59. Write out the story of how you met
60. Talk about your future together
61. Write love letters to each other than read them to each other
62. Do a puzzle together
63. Wash the car and flirt with each other
64. Draw each other
Close your eyes and draw each other. Yes, eyes closed.
Most yoga studios offer free yoga. It’s fun to go together, and see how funny you each other in the poses. The worse you are at yoga the more fun it is;)
66. Play frisbee
67. Pretend you’re in a movie
If it rains, go outside, get soaking wet, then run to each other, embrace, and kiss passionately (of course) for like 5 minutes, at least.
68. Pick fruit
This is a good one for the spring and summer months.
69. Go to a friends art opening
70. Bake a cake together
71. Make each other breakfast in bed
72. Be a tourist in your own city
Roam around like you don’t know what’s going on and try to really see your city in a new way.
73. Experimental food
Pretend you’re on a food show and pick out ingredients for the other person (use as many ingredients as possible that you already own). Then you each try to cook something edible. Sweet and sour corn muffins? Sure!
74. Scavenger hunt
Spend some time planning a scavenger hunt either around town or just in your house. Leave something (like a sweet letter) at the end of the trail for your partner to find. Take turns doing this for each other.
75. Take online relationship tests
The Love Languages one is specifically good.
76. Pick a TV show and then watch episode after episode
Any Dexter, Breaking Bad or True Blood fans out there? (I’ve heard Homeland is amazing too!)
77. Get to know each other even more
You might think you know each other really well but if you’e been together for any length of time some of the answers from the beginning of your relationship might be out-of-date. Don’t assume you know your partner so much that they’re not allowed to grow or change their minds.
78. Pray or meditate together
This will make you feel very close and can also be intimating and make you feel vulnerable. But humor me and give it a try (easier said than done, I know). Plus, I’ve got real-live proof that this works! Get this, I know of a couple and they are each 92 years old, and they’ve been married 70 years! Their secret? Transcendental meditation for 20 minutes at least twice a day!
79. Tell each other why you like/love each other so much
This is another thing that’s easy to take for granted in relationships. Like, yeah, yeah, yeah, of course we love each other! But, really telling each other? Worth a shot.
80. Make life lists
Create lists of things you’d like to do together and separately and then share them with each other and get some of the plans in the works!
81. Break a record
Look at the Guinness Book of World Records and see which record you two should try to break together. Even if you don’t break the record it’d be fun to try.
82. Dream about your dream house
Look at Pinterest and dream about what your house would be like if you had no limit on money! (This is my dream home board)
83. Be a kid again
Remember when $5 seemed like SO much money? It can still go pretty far in an arcade. Go to the arcade to play skee-ball, air hockey, and video games.
84. Hit golf balls at a driving range
85. Go to a midnight movie
86. Pretend you don’t know each other, get dressed up, and meet in the bar or at an event
87. Make a mix tape together
88. Play basketball
89. Go look at dream house status real-estate
90. Find a cheap psychic and get a reading
91. Give each other haircuts
Yep, I went there. (Still trying to convince my husband to let me try giving him a homemade hair cut)
92. Make wishes in a fountain together
93. Watch YouTube videos all night
Prank videos or kitten videos for hours?! Yes. It’s amazing.
94. Stay up all night talking or “talking”
95. Climb a tree
96. Go to a bar and cheer for a team
This one could get expensive so either don’t drink, drink beforehand, or bring a flask.
98. Ask around
Keep your ears (eyes) peeled on your social media sites for free events going on around town or ask your friends if they have any ideas.
Want more ideas? Check out this post: How to be a Cheap Valentine Without Being a Cheap Valentine and this post might help too: 56 Things to do Instead of Spending Money.
What are your favorite cheap date ideas?
P.S. UPDATE!!! I’ve updated this MASSIVE list! CLICK HERE to get all 110 Super Cheap Date Ideas delivered right to your email.