The great thing about smoothies is that they make for a healthy, quick breakfast. I love that you can throw just about anything in them and they’re probably, most likely, going to be amazing.
Usually, I avoid strawberries in the winter because they are sooo expensive (use this In Season Fruits and Veggies guide to stay on track) but I lucked out the other day at the grocery store and got a pound of them for $2.50! When I ran across this Strawberry Oatmeal Smoothie Recipe I knew I had to give it a try. I love using oatmeal whenever I can because it’s so cheap, filling, and nutritious. These smoothies are super tasty and they stick with ya!
Strawberry Oatmeal Smoothie Recipe…
– 1 cup soy, almond, rice, or cow’s milk
– 1/2 cup rolled oats (aka Old-Fashioned oats – be sure to buy generic there is absolutely no difference between on and off brand oats!)
– 1 banana (right before bananas go bad peel the skin off, break them into chunks, and freeze them)
– 14 frozen strawberries (or freeze fresh ones when you find them on sale)
– 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1 1/2 teaspoons white sugar (optional)
Blend together the milk and oats. Once thoroughly blended add in the remaining ingredients, and then drink up!
What are your favorite smoothie recipes? Do you know of any others that use oatmeal?