Turns out laundry detergent is super easy and cheap to make!
Homemade Laundry Detergent Recipe…
– Baking soda
– Borax (it sounds like a mega strong chemical but it’s not)
– Hard soap (Fels Naptha or Dove. I found the Fels Naptha in my local non-fancy grocery store in the laundry aisle)
– Use a serrated knife to grate the soap (or a cheese grater if you’re up for cleaning it really good later on)
– Combine 1 cup of soap flakes, 1/2 cup of Borax, and 1/2 a cup of baking soda in a plastic re-sealable baggie (freezer size is ideal)
– Seal the baggie and shake the ingredients together
– Use 2 TBSP of the mixture per load
– Let the detergent dissolve in the hot washer water before adding the clothing. To save energy switch the water back to cold after the detergent is dissolved
– Use an old laundry detergent bottle cap as your scoop and leave in the detergent baggie so it’s super handy when you need it
– Be sure to super clean any kitchen tools you use to make the laundry detergent (I failed to do this and ended up with a semi-soapy meal. Oops!). Even better? Dedicate an old kitchen knife or garage sale cheese grater to be used specifically for laundry detergent making
– This is a super simple recipe and the grating part is the most time-consuming step. I make a double-batch of the laundry detergent to make the most of my time.
This homemade laundry detergent really works! Have you tried making your own detergent before? Think you’ll give it a go?